MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > The Parking Lot - On & Off Topic

Old 05-28-2004   #1
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX
Can we put this in our cars? what is the octane rating? anybody know anything about this shit? BTW its 85% ethenol gas
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
tpunx99GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004   #2
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr
octane rating 109ish, no our cars aren't designed to burn this shit, lightening gsx wants to have his car running on it, it was discussed elsewhere on this board.
SEARCH!
or just pm eric (lightening gsx).
Old 05-28-2004   #3
LightningGSX
Hellbound

Yeah, it needs to be ran at about a 10:1 A/F ratio.You'll need to swap any rubber seals that come in contact with it, over to Teflon or similar.It will corrode anything made from aluminum, so you may need to swap fuel lines, fuel rail, etc(I'm not sure what everything is made of yet).And finally E85 will conduct electricity(gas does not), so you'd need to shield/ground the fuel pump.The OEMs put a flame arrestor in the filler neck, which would probably be a good thing for us also.Its not as difficult as it sounds, I'll let people know once I figure everything out.

Oh yeah, you'll end up with about 20%-30% less fuel economy and the octane rating is between 95 and 105(depending on season and area, I keep meaning to stop by an E85 pump and check the octane rating around here)
Old 05-28-2004   #4
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51
Quote:
Originally posted by LightningGSX@May 28 2004, 01:37 AM
Oh yeah, you'll end up with about 20%-30% less fuel economy and the octane rating is between 95 and 105
So basically it is cheaper just to run race-gas rather than converting everything over then loosing fuel economy.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004   #5
LightningGSX
Hellbound

No not really, E85 is alot cheaper, even cheaper than 87 octane unleaded.And it comes from Minnesota farmers, not some foreign oil cartel.
Old 05-28-2004   #6
Jakey
Asshat King

Send a message via MSN to Jakey
Here's an interesting thread on Tuners about using ethanol for some reference: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread...ghlight=Ethanol

Proud to be a Cyclone

Check it out: Racers Against Street Racing
Jakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004   #7
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET
E85 is normally $.40 cheaper than 92. If you put in 12 gallons that is about $5.00 a fill up. It wouldn't take too long to pay itself off. Not to mention you could run 28 - 30 psi EVERY DAY!!

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004   #8
Jakey
Asshat King

Quote:
Originally posted by LightningGSX@May 28 2004, 03:12 AM
.....And it comes from Minnesota farmers, not some foreign oil cartel.
Hell Yeah!!!

Proud to be a Cyclone

Old 05-28-2004   #9
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jakey@May 28 2004, 06:52 AM
Here's an interesting thread on Tuners about using ethanol for some reference: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread...ghlight=Ethanol
Ahhh, yes! The battle between me an MNGSX! I had to learn him a little Too bad I wasn't able to stay involved in the thread. There are some more things that we were still arguing about. There are some good facts in there though (don't believe all of his though).

Old 05-28-2004   #10
Jakey
Asshat King

Quote:
Originally posted by JET+May 28 2004, 07:56 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JET @ May 28 2004, 07:56 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Jakey@May 28 2004, 06:52 AM
Ahhh, yes! The battle between me an MNGSX! I had to learn him a little Too bad I wasn't able to stay involved in the thread. There are some more things that we were still arguing about. There are some good facts in there though (don't believe all of his though). [/b][/quote]
I thought you might like that.

Proud to be a Cyclone

Old 05-28-2004   #11
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Quote:
Originally posted by JET@May 28 2004, 07:52 AM
E85 is normally $.40 cheaper than 92. If you put in 12 gallons that is about $5.00 a fill up. It wouldn't take too long to pay itself off. Not to mention you could run 28 - 30 psi EVERY DAY!!
Although you must remember you will be losing about 20-30% of your fuel economy so in effect it is not truely $5 cheaper/tank if you take in to account the fact you will have to refuel more often. My old roomate has an '00 Ford Ranger than can run on either regular gasoline or E85, and after using both for extended periods of time he found it was cheaper just to run the regular 87-octane gasoline. One more thing, I am sick of having to bail out the MN farmers. If they can't survive they should just go out of business like would happen in any other industry. We already help them out enough with the price-floor put in place for milk. That stuff is over $4/gal now at Cub last time I checked. Whenever possibly I liked to get the nonoxygenated fuel for my Talon, it seemed to run better and I did get a few extra MPG.
Old 05-29-2004   #12
LightningGSX
Hellbound

When you're running 92 octane to begin with, E85 will be alot more economical and have other benefits as well.I actually think it would be possible to get nearly the same fuel ecomony with a turbo DSM and E85.I'll find out soon enough.
Old 05-29-2004   #13
Jakey
Asshat King

Quote:
Originally posted by TalonTSiDude+May 28 2004, 11:50 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TalonTSiDude @ May 28 2004, 11:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-JET@May 28 2004, 07:52 AM
E85 is normally $.40 cheaper than 92.&nbsp; If you put in 12 gallons that is about $5.00 a fill up.&nbsp; It wouldn't take too long to pay itself off.&nbsp; Not to mention you could run 28 - 30 psi EVERY DAY!!
Although you must remember you will be losing about 20-30% of your fuel economy so in effect it is not truely $5 cheaper/tank if you take in to account the fact you will have to refuel more often. My old roomate has an '00 Ford Ranger than can run on either regular gasoline or E85, and after using both for extended periods of time he found it was cheaper just to run the regular 87-octane gasoline. One more thing, I am sick of having to bail out the MN farmers. If they can't survive they should just go out of business like would happen in any other industry. We already help them out enough with the price-floor put in place for milk. That stuff is over $4/gal now at Cub last time I checked. Whenever possibly I liked to get the nonoxygenated fuel for my Talon, it seemed to run better and I did get a few extra MPG. [/b][/quote]
You may want to rethink your comment which is bashing those who the entire Minnesota economy is built around.

Proud to be a Cyclone

Old 05-29-2004   #14
Emcee gsxtc

Send a message via AIM to Emcee gsxtc
Quote:
Originally posted by Jakey+May 29 2004, 10:12 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jakey @ May 29 2004, 10:12 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by TalonTSiDude@May 28 2004, 11:50 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-JET
Quote:
@May 28 2004, 07:52 AM
E85 is normally $.40 cheaper than 92.* If you put in 12 gallons that is about $5.00 a fill up.* It wouldn't take too long to pay itself off.* Not to mention you could run 28 - 30 psi EVERY DAY!!

Although you must remember you will be losing about 20-30% of your fuel economy so in effect it is not truely $5 cheaper/tank if you take in to account the fact you will have to refuel more often. My old roomate has an '00 Ford Ranger than can run on either regular gasoline or E85, and after using both for extended periods of time he found it was cheaper just to run the regular 87-octane gasoline. One more thing, I am sick of having to bail out the MN farmers. If they can't survive they should just go out of business like would happen in any other industry. We already help them out enough with the price-floor put in place for milk. That stuff is over $4/gal now at Cub last time I checked. Whenever possibly I liked to get the nonoxygenated fuel for my Talon, it seemed to run better and I did get a few extra MPG.
You may want to rethink your comment which is bashing those who the entire Minnesota economy is built around. [/b][/quote]
Ditto - Dont piss in the pool you swim in, its not healthy.

Pick Two: FAST CHEAP RELIABLE
Emcee gsxtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004   #15
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.
Quote:
Originally posted by TalonTSiDude@May 28 2004, 10:50 PM
One more thing, I am sick of having to bail out the MN farmers.&nbsp; If they can't survive they should just go out of business like would happen in any other industry.&nbsp; We already help them out enough with the price-floor put in place for milk.&nbsp; That stuff is over $4/gal now at Cub last time I checked.
Have you ever visited a dairy farm? Have you ever talked to a farmer about anything at all related to their business? If you knew how close every privately owned farm is to going under you'd understand.

There is an ethanol plant just east of Owatonna. Local farmers were given huge contracts to sell their corn to the plant, and as a result they're able to buy more land, plant more crops and buy bigger and better equipment to get the job done. On top of it, they get a better way of life and more security while we get cheaper and cleaner burning fuel.

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004   #16
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt D.@May 29 2004, 01:08 PM
Have you ever talked to a farmer about anything at all related to their business?&nbsp; If you knew how close every privately owned farm is to going under you'd understand.

There is an ethanol plant just east of Owatonna.&nbsp; Local farmers were given huge contracts to sell their corn to the plant, and as a result they're able to buy more land, plant more crops and buy bigger and better equipment to get the job done.&nbsp; On top of it, they get a better way of life and more security while we get cheaper and cleaner burning fuel.
Yeah, my family's farm went under, so the fuck what? Seriously, if you can't hack it in the business then you shouldn't be in it. Nobody in my family pissed and moaned; they realized their time was up, sold most of the equipment and most the land. And did I mention I am a fag? The few remaining fields we own are either being rented out or are on the idle-land revitilization program.

Don't talk about "cleaner burning" either, 90% of the cars on this board are emissions illegal.

About the price...I regularly paid the extra $.10/gal to get the nonoxygenated gasoline if the station I was at offered it and generally noted a slight increase in performance and always a few extra MPG.
Old 05-29-2004   #17
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.
Ethanol is cleaner burning than gasoline last I knew. Obviously you can't expect to just dump it into any car and see immediate results... Hence why Eric is working on converting to E85.

Concerning the price of milk: There will always be a demand, and people will pay nearly anything for it. If you ask me it's not all that rediculous of a price. I think I paid less than $6 at Cub for two gallons.

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004   #18
LightningGSX
Hellbound

The oxygenated gas is E5(5% ethanol) I believe, older vehicles aren't really programmed to run on it.If you have a vehicle equipped to run any combo of ethanol, the upsides outway the downsides by far.

And you can't honestly tell me you'd rather give your money to a foreigner, over an american farmer, could you?
Old 05-30-2004   #19
JET
Is funding Exxon.

All gas (unless stated as nonoxygenated) is 10% ethanol in MN. They actually made it a law a year or 2 ago. I looked it up a month or 2 ago. That is year round too.

Old 05-30-2004   #20
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Quote:
Originally posted by LightningGSX@May 30 2004, 04:47 AM
And you can't honestly tell me you'd rather give your money to a foreigner, over an american farmer, could you?
I'd rather get what I pay for. If I want corn I go to the grocery store; if I want gas I go to the gas station. If the farmers made quality gasoline I would purchase it from them rather than from overseas, but they don't, they grow vegatables.